• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suckers on the fly (pics included)

Got out for a little bit this afternoon on the Otter Tail R. and caught a few suckers. Fish were caught on a 6 weight rod using size 12 and 14 prince nymphs. I had a big one on and fought it for some where between 5 and 10 minutes, I got impatient and started to horse it and it got off frown.gif. Here's pictures of some suckers that didn't get away.

sucker1sf8.jpg

sucker3zo5.jpg

sucker2rh4.jpg

They were a blast to catch on the fly. Definitely underrated fish!

DEADHead- I've been trying for the last two weeks to get a sucker on the fly. I've been using bead head nymphs, and can't get them to bite. I'm not much a fly fisherman so I'm wondering a little about technique. Deeper pools or current? Sight fishing? Gear also. what are you using for leader? I've been trying about a 6' leader of vanish fluro on a floating line with #12 hare's ear, but it doesn't get very deep in the pools and the current just seems to take it entirely too fast? Any help would be great.

I was running anywhere from a 9' to 12' tapered leader (4X mono tippet). I pinched on some small split shots about 8" from the size 14 beadhead prince nymph I was fishing to get the fly down. you may want to use a slightly smaller fly. I fished both dead drifting with a floating line, and high stick nymphing and caught fish that way. I was high sticking blindly in areas of foam where I knew the fish were stacking up. I fished the fly in a very light jigging manner, pulling the fly up every 5-7 second to feel for the tension of a fish. The current was too fast, and with the foam it was difficult to sight fish. However, due to all the different currents next to the eddy I was fishing, you didn't have to worry about drag and irregular movement.

When I was dead drifting I was sight fishing because I was in slower deeper water in a small stream.

Good luck!