• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Springers in cold water

Jimmy,

I had 2 springers, one a hunter and one who preferred to lay around and both loved the water... The hunter would swim BY HERSELF at the cabin for hours on end, and sometimes in to the night, we would have to call her in. I hunted her (upland) many times when it was cold and she would retrieve in water with no problems, but, they are not as hardy as labs and most likely would not do well duck hunting with multiple water retrieves.My 2 dogs had drasticly differnt coats. The hunters coat would repel water as if she had a rain coat on but the other was like a sponge...They are great hunters for upland(flushers) but I would not count on them sitting in a bling wet and cold.Hope that helps you some... weathermaker

Oh by they way, just got my 1st lab pup 2 weeks ago, Im now a lab man, I hope she love to flush the birds as much as my springers used to!!!

Thanks weathermaker. We use to have a springer that would swim like that in the water for hours at the cabin. They are unbelievable dogs. They put a smile on your face every time you think about them. I miss her alot. Yet we never hunted her. So I ordered another one from pine shadows. I should be getting her in a few months. I can't wait.

The problem is in the late season when it is cold. They are not built very well for going into the cold water and then sitting for an extended period of time like a lab or a chessie are.

With that said, in the early season they are as good in the duck blind as any other hunting dog. Things like neoprene vests will extend the season a little bit.

They will be fine for ducks. They may have a little more troubles with a goose, especially if it is not dead, then a lab. As stated above, in the late season they will tend to get a little colder then a lab or Chessy. About all you can do is strap on a neoprene vest. I recommend that you look into the ones with the floatation inserts on the side.

Even if you would reduce their life expectancy (which you won't)you'll remember those cold days in the blind/field before you remember how nice it was watching your dog lay on the living room floor. And trust they won't mind being out there either.