• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Circle hooks for brushpile crappies

Cooter

I've heard rumors that circle hooks are great for brushpile fishing because they are fairly snag resistant. Any comments? Also wondering about hook up %. And size to try with small minners. Just looking for ways to lose fewer hooks and spook less fish. I've tried the Lindy snag proof hooks and miss tons of fish. Thanks, later.

The only thing I know about circles is that they work well for bobber and jug fighing(illegal in MN). Hooks the fish without a hookset and gets them in the corner of the mouth every time. Less chance of a fatal hook. If you end up using them, let us know how it goes.

I tried little circles with crappies and it did not go well. Circle hooks are designed to go into the corner of the mouth and lay flat until the eye end comes out and pivots the point into the flesh. Trouble with a Crappie is once they feel trouble their mouth comes open into that full circle, no corners to pivot the hook.

Thanks JP, I'll scratch that one off the list.

Have you had any luck with say the lindy no-snag hooks? I've trimmed them almost next to nil and still miss lots of fish.

Might have to try braid and aberdeen hooks. Even 8lb mono doesn't always bend them free before breaking.

Yep, sometimes your cast ends up 2 feet off the log and it isn't good enough - put in it the honey hole and down she goes. On most spots its time to reposition when I'm out of slip bobbers and they're floating all over the lake - first I net crappies then I net slip bobbers crazy.gif