• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice formation rate chart

Bob_D

I had some free time at work today and made a few calculations based on some data from the Army Corp of Engineers.

Here is a chart I made of ice formation rates under optimum conditions.

Ice_Thickness_Rates_1.JPG

Wind chill is a calculated number relitive to the amount of heat lost from skin based on wind speed and air temperature.

Wind really has little effect on cooling once the skim ice has formed. The insulation properties of the ice is a bigger factor.

FYI...I'm changing the 0" data to "skim" to avoid confusion. There are too many factors involved in making the first skim coat to be reflected accuratly in this chart. I will have it updated tonight.

That is an interesting chart. The amount of ice made is more than I would expect when the ice is thin to begin with even with optimum conditions.

It would be fun to see a chart that showed how much ice is lost when the temperature is above freezing. I think there are a lot more factors that would need to be considered when the ice melts.