• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4X8 FIBERGLASS SHEETS

mrjigger

Question

My brother and I are building a 6X12 fish house on wheels. We are debating what material to use on the outside of the house. While walking through Menards the other day, I noticed they sold 4X8 sheets of white fiberglass. The sheets are maybe about 1/8" thick. Anyone have any experience with sheets of fiberglass? Would it get brittle in the winter? Would you have to predrill holes to attach to the studs? Thanks

8 answers to this question

The sheets you are taking about are a combo of plastic and fiberglass, They are used for shower and tub surrounds and were first made for the insides of car washes. As a matter of fact I think the Walmarts use them for the walls inside of there washrooms. They are meant to be apply with glue over a solid surface. They are very flexible and should have backing. They can also be attached with a plastic plug and nail that you predrill then install the plug and pound in a nail that expands the plug. The price 27.00 a sheet plus installation costs would exceed just buying some 1/4 ceder 4x8 siding. I have done several enclosures using it, nice stuff but I don't think it would be a good choice for a shanty. Hope I helped..

We used the same ones to side our fish house last winter. They have a gel clear coat on them, and work great. They do not get brittle, are flexible, and easy to work with. They will not dent or break like steel or aluminum siding. If you have insulation inbetween the studs on the inside of the house, you will have a nice tight fit. We just attached them with galvanized screws that have a neoprene washer attached to them. The screws also had a white paint on them to match the fiberglass. We got ours at Fleet Farm. We used the textured sheets for the cieling in our house as it won't mold or rot because of any water vapor or condensation. It also reflects light nicely.

It's called FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) and it is used extensivly in comercial kitchens. The stuff if impervious to mold, comes in pebble or smooth finish and I've seen it in white, brown and black. Glued on the stuff it tough as nails and water dosen't bother it a bit. Sounds like it was made for a fishouse.

We used no glue at all, just the neoprene washer screws for the outside, and stainless steel wood screws for the inside. No problems at all with attaching it that way, it is very durable stuff. If I had to build all over again, or I build another one in the future, I will be using it again!

No pilot holes inside or outside, the screws go throgh nicely on their own, and hold nicely. We put the neoprene washer screws very close to the seam so no glue was needed. We also put a 1/4" OSB plywood on the outside first, then tyveked the house, and then put on the fiberglass. It added a little weight (8 sheets), but our house is sealed, and warm laugh.gif.