• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If you have two (or more) hunting dogs...

BLACKJACK

Just curious, if you have two hunting dogs, do you hunt them together or seperately?

In my case, I have two labs, a ten year old and a three year old, both females. In MN, I always hunt them together, I never hunt enough days in a row to where they get wore down. In SoDak, I ususally hunt them together, but by day three or four, I will start alternating them. The reason I have two labs and have maintained two labs for the past 15 years is that I always tell myself that in case one gets hurt, I have a backup (especially for our SoDak trips!!!), yet I've been lucky and have had very few serious dog injuries, so the majority of the time they run together.

Thats another story in itself, which dog do you follow when they're both hot? But its fun having two in front of you.

Now for this year, I've ran my ten year old lab so hard that I'm retiring her for the year, shes worn one of her toes bloody, it opens up every time out. It doesn't stop her when we're hot on a bird but I feel guilty when I see her gimping along on three legs... So now my three year old lab will be my main dog for the next couple of weeks. But shes developed into a pretty good dog in her own right, finally putting together the trailing of a bird, yet staying in range. And shes a demon after down birds!

Come on snow and cold, I want to get into the cattails a few more times!!!

I hunt my two labs together all of the time. They are 5 and 2. Both have been battered and torn throughout this season with the dry conditions, but they are always ready for the next outing. It is tough to see them bleeding around the eyes and on the toes, but a little tlc and they are ready again smile.gif

I have about the same age difference in my english setters. I do mostly what you do (MN both dogs, dakotas, one at a time over several days) except I usually don't hunt them together if I'm alone. I will take them both at the same time if I have someone along who can handle one of the dogs if they both get on birds. Sometimes, if there are plenty of birds, it gets too stressful running both I think.

I sure do feel guilty about leaving my old dog in the truck. I feel like a traitor! He howls and yips and the whole suburban shakes. I just tell myself it is for his own good and he can hunt over several days rather than getting worn out in one day. He was hit by a car when he was three and has a steel plate in his hip. Rymadil helps with the pain but it still slows him down.

ccarlson

I have two GSP's...one 3 on 6 and I always hunt them separate. I've got big running dogs and its tough keeping track of both of them at the same time. I also like each dog to be fully developed and have their own time afield. I've got buddies who always run their dogs together, and their pups end up lacking skills because they don't get as many points and retrieving opportunities running behind an experienced dog.

I own 9 and 1 year old Britts. I almost always hunt them separate.

Ruffs - one dog at a time - always.

Pheasants. Mostly separate.

Dogs are never happy being left in the truck, but I have found over the past 25 years that the dogs have more stamina and quartering range if they get breaks during the day.

With my 9 yr old, we can hunt for hours without barely saying a word. Maybe an occasionaly whistle (my mouth) when we are in high grass to give her a baring on my location.

I need to talk with my 1 yr old dog more often.

There is canine buffered aspirin sold on internet vet sites and at the big box pet stores. I have found that the buffered aspirin works very well at a fraction of the cost. Follow dose advise and it is best to give them the aspirin after they eat.

With my previous Brittany - the holiopathic route - joint care - worked very well. My dog had an arthritic hip (U of M x-ray diagnosed) - when she went on Joint Care (Foster and Smith) - the Rimadyl went into the cupboard. My vet said he followed the same holiopathic route.