• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Those other fish...White Bass/Rock Bass

Carp-fisher

Oftentimes you can find the rock bass holding with the sunfish. It's not uncommon for my adrenaline to skyrocket when I see a 12-inch rock bass cruise up to my jig while sight fishing... only to initially think it's a gill, but to find out it's a rocker once I get a solid look at it... they can be deceiving smile.gif

In lakes where rock bass are prevelant, you shouldn't have a hard time locating them. They will be scattered amongst the shallow vegetation, as well as out over sticky-bottom flats cruising just like the pods of pannies. Also not uncommon to find them roaming deeper water. But it seems as if sight fishing areas draw in a good number of rockers...

I would also advise giving them a try on the table if you haven't already. Rock bass are tasty, much like a sunfish or crappie... it's mostly a mind-game as to why most people won't eat them, but I think they taste just fine...

I've never really targeted, nor really caught white bass through the ice, at least nothing that I can remember. I've fished areas where white bass are popular, but they never seem to find their way to my line.

This is an interesting topic though, and I'm also interested in hearing what others have to say...