• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Puppy Traits

eagle_3464

Just a curious question regarding the traits passed to a litter of puppies. I've been doing some research in wanting to choose the right puppy and have read how well the sire of some litters always pass their traits onto the offspring. In your opinion, do the puppies of any given litter have the traits more-so of the sire or the dam? Or do they vary within the litter with one pup having the sires traits and another the dams traits. Thanks for any input in helping my selection.

They will take on traits from each parent... Some more so from the sire some more so from the dam and some equally from both. That is why it's so important to 'match' the right female to the 'right' male. You want to magnify the good traits of both by looking for similar qualities and lessen the undesirable traits by choosing a partner with a greater amount of chance of fulfilling that aspect.

On a side note, this is one of the biggest problems of the labrador breed today... too many breedings taking place with little or no thought put into the potential outcome. There is no reasoning behind why the male and female were put together, other than wanting a litter of puppies. I'm not being snobby here either, I don't care if you're a pro or amatuer, titled dog or hunter, it is across the board too many of the litters are never thought out... your number one goal of a breeding should be to improve the breed.

Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks for the input Ken. Hey if you have some time can you check out sauk river labs and tell me what you think. I feel they do as good a job as any in pairing their breedings.

I agree that there are to many out there breeding at random. Sure, it gives the opportunity to buy a cheaper dog with th hopes of a good outcome but in reality the cost of the pup is minimal compared to your investment of time. I think people will breed two great dogs, but with different traits, thinking they will have great pups. Its the poor guy that buys one of these pups that finds the lack of dominant traits.

I haven't yet made a deposit on any specific litter since I am still doing research and seeking any feedback (positive or negative) in selecting a breeder. Ken has been around labs for a long time so I respect any info I see in his posts. At this point I am leaning heavily toward a puppy from Sauk River. If I deposit soon I can get pick of litter on an upcoming planned litter not yet posted. I just got a picture this morning of the last litter from this pair.