• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Should I worry about the cold?

Mr. B

Maggie and I will be hitting a preserve tomorrow with with friends and family. With the high tomorrow predicted around 15 in the Brainerd area do I need to worry about Maggie getting cold?

Maggie is a 60 pound 5 year old lab. She is in great shape and would run all day if I let her. But she is not an outside dog. She spends part of every day outside running and chasing her dummies (me and her training ones). But every night she is curled up at the foot of my bed snoring loudly.

I have only hunted her in temps. this cold once and not for all day. She did great but I guess I am just a little nervous.

Any tips or things to watch for in cold weather hunting would be great.

I would watch two things, one being her feet /pads make sure she does not get ice build up in them and make sure she gets plenty of water and if she shows signs of slowing down, not wanting to hunt she may be getting cold but she is a dog and she should do just fine. When you are done for the day or if you take a lunch break just check her feet and don't put her in her crate wet. My labs have become house dogs over the years but we still hunt them hard in Nov and DEC. and they are both bed hogs to. Have a good hunt.