• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Farmers are starting to pick corn

tjm

Wow was i surprised when i went to Cabelas this morning.2 combines picking corn.If the weather holds out the hunting should get good sooner then on normal years

Anyone else around see farmers picking yet?

Ditto for our area, although they have started chopping some of the cornfields. I'd say half or maybe more will get chopped because they have no ears to speak of, but otherwise no beans have gone out. No corn has been picked or combined that I've seen. The chopped cornfields have two rows left standing about every 20 rows or so for the crop insurance I'm sure.

Wow. We're talking early here. I remember years when there was a good amount of corn up for gun season in Nov. That said, I can't wait till it goes out. There's a pile of it in the valley and surprise-surprise, no-one is seeing much for deer.

Joel

Corn is very poor this year in west central Minnesota. Volume seems to be about half of last year. The ears are very small. We started chopping last weekend. The field is a half mile from end to end. Our chopper chops two rows at a time. Last year, we would fill up a wagon on one pass down the field. This year, we are going down and back and the wagon is not quite full.

Some beans are starting to come out now as well. As soon as we are done chopping and bagging, the beans will begin immediately.

If we get a couple of good freezes and the weather stays dry, we will start combining corn earlier than normal. The one thing that may hold off the corn harvest is wet weather. We will wait until it is dry as possible to avoid as much drying as we can. Propane is $$$$$ this year.