• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scared of Fireworks

duckslayer27

Should I be woried if my dog is very afraid of fireworks. She is 14 months and i did have her out duck hunting last year and she did just fine. I have not had her around guns since may when we went trap shooting. i am woried because the retrieve and obidience are great. She is up to doubles and blind retrieves. I dont want all this work by both of us to be wasted because she became gun shy due to the town fireworks.

I had a lab when I lived at home that seemed deathly afraid of fireworks but wasn't one bit gunshy.It didn't seem to be the booming ones but the ones that sounded like a helicopter taking off drove her nuts.I don't know if it was a different sound or what???These were only fireworks shot off by our neighbors tho.If you are concerned you could get her occupied in something else and fire a capgun or something less loud and work your way up.Maybe shoot from a distance would work also.I don't think you will have any problems tho .Hope I helped .Good Luck!

hey magnum

thanks for easing my mind a little bit. The dog and i are going to go shoot trap and pheasents in a week or so. I am going to bring the wife with so she can start the dog from a distance and see how she responds. hate seeing her react that way. thanks again

duckslayer27,

I wouldn't sweat it...a 21 gun salute can go off right next to my oldest Griffs head and he'd pop up looking for birds....but, if a kid three blocks away shoots off a bottle-rocket, or if a storm cloud gathers somewhere over Oklahoma (I'm in Duluth, MN) he'll be at my back door letting me know he wants in!

Just watch her while hunting, I'm sure it will be fine.

DG