• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cut on Paw

mcmsek

My lab has a slice on its pad and the dog is whimpering a lot because of it. Is there anything I can do to help it heal faster or ease the pain for her. We are heading to the cabin this weekend and being outside all weekend is just something thats going to happen. She needs a lot of exrcise or she will just run in circles in the house!

How deep a cut are you talking? If it's deep enough sometimes they need stitches to heal. If it's not all the way through the pad and looks like it can close up on it's own, EMT gel found at fleet farm, Petsmart etc, can really decrease the healing time. The best thing to do is lay the dog up. Put EMT gel on the wound, duct tape a sock on the dog, and stick it in a crate. In the hunting season I've seen guys superglue leather over the wound. You'd certainly have to keep an eye on it for infection if you went that route.

Keep it clean... ie: no water this weekend. The best thing to do is lots of crate time to keep her subdued and give it a chance to heal. If it is deep, have a vet look at it to determine if stitches are in order. My dog cut his foot pretty good about 5 years ago, didn't even think of water work infecting it, but it did. Caused a real bad infection and a fever, he ended up losing about 30-40% of his hearing... The vets said the fever caused the damage to his hearing. Emt gel works good along wioth some pad coats and tougheners which will also aid in the healing process and prevent future cuts and tears.

Good Luck!

Ken

My boy cut his pad last mid. Dec. about 1/2" long and 1/8" deep and my vet stapled it up. It ended my pheasant season and even after the staples came out (month later) it took some time to get 100%. It would be almost healed and then crack open again. I think it was March before I called it 100% healed. Good luck.