• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can I change irrigation controllers?

Powerstroke

I am a first time homeowner and our house a has a very old Rainbird control box in the garage. It is the green and white one with the large rotating dial and the pins to push and pull to set days and times. Pretty basic.

I'm not new to using irrigation systems or making minor repairs on heads and hoses, but I know nothing about the electrical side of the installation.

My question is, would I be able to upgrade to a newer digital controller with more programability (is that a word?)?

Would I be able to do it myself? I've never taken apart a controller before so I don't know whats involved.

yes, yes, and yes. Changing out a controller shouldn't be that difficult unless your system is VERY old and runs off hydraulics. I would make sure that you get one that has the options that are important odd/even watering (unless on a well) rain sensor ports, water budget ect. They sell some cheaper ones at Menards ect, but many don't have the features that some others will have. Feel free to give me a call and I can try and figure out what you would need.