• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When is a dog full grown?

Ely Lake Expert

A friend of mine just inherited/took in a 3 year old akc registered female chocolate lab that the owners could no longer keep. I saw it for the first time yesterday and to me it looked small, probably between 50-60 pounds. He was trying to tell me it wasn't full grown yet, (but he also likes to talk people from time to time) he thinks it will grow for another year. I have have always thought dogs were full grown in under 2 years. So my question to the dog experts out there is, until what age would a chocolate lab grow?

It's skelaton is done growing... it is more or less, long past doing anymore growing, but it may put on weight (not always good weight). Most females are done "growing" by 9-12 months. They may add some muscle mass and or fat over the next year, but you would know what you are dealing with as far as size before it's a year old.

A 50-60 pound female is actually quite average. 50 being on the low side of average, 60 being in the middle to upper. His dog will perform best if kept at a moderate weight.

Good Luck!

Ken

What I have always heard is that small to med breeds are full grown at a year and larger breeds will grow till 2 most of their height is done by 1 but they continue to fill out as they add muscle. I have always had labs and this pretty much is how they ended up. My son has pits and they are pretty much done by 18 months or so. Anyway three years old is an adult.