• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help with an ID

RBuker

I wish I had a picture but my sister just called asking about a bird that's been hanging around her feeder.

Here's how she describes it:

"Bright, almost flourescent solid copper color with the exception of an avacado green patch over it's eyes and cheeks. The size is similar or between a robin and a grackle. The tail if fairly long but not as long as a brown thrasher."

Can anyone offer up some help? I don't have a clue!

Thanks in advance

Randy

I've been trying to come up with something likely and have drawn a blank. Like M.T., I can think of some things it MIGHT be, and the irridescent black birds such as rusty blackbird and grackle come to mind, because depending on the light, irridescence can produce colors like those you mentioned, but we just need more information.

DOH!!!

Hey guys, how much you wanna bet she has been seeing the female - which really does look copper-colored, and snapped the pick of the male when it showed up?

First time I saw a cardinal (none around the Ely area where I grew up) it was a female cardinal, and I puzzled over the thing for several days before figuring out what I was seeing.

shocked.gifshocked.gif She swore up and down when she was describing it that it wasn't a cardinal. She's had them there before so I'm surprised that she didn't know. But... by the picture and from her description, I was befuddled too.

Give me a canvasback or something I can identify!! tongue.gifblush.gif