• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Family carp fishing?

Hey guys, my wife's new to fishing, and she really wants to catch something bigger than a 2 lb bass or eye. I live in the Metro area and know there's a lot of big carp in the area. I'm not asking you guys for any of your trophy spots or anything, I just wanna get in a bunch of fish from the 5 & up range. I've never been carp fishing b/f, so any tips you guys wanna give me would be appreciated, also. Thanks guys!

Carp fishing is a great way to get someone excited about fishing! Go to the Coon Rapids Dam. It's easy access to a spot with little or no current, hardly any snags and lots and lots of carp. I'm talking about the area closest to the parking lot on the Coon Rapids side, not the big turbulent river below the dam. Bring two cans of corn, and you'll be set for bait. Bring a couple chairs and a cooler with some cold sodas. Rig up with a sliding egg or bell sinker with a 12-24" leader to a #4 circle hook, and load it with corn. Toss a few handfuls of corn out, too. Cut yourself a forked stick, and use this to set your rod in after you have cast out. The stick makes it easier to detect bites, and makes it a little harder for a carp to yank your rod into the river! They take it like a locomotive sometimes. Good luck! ~hogsucker

Thanks for the advise, hogsucker! I really appreciate it. Just wondering, I have a couple of nice heavy-action pike and muskie setups, as well as some medium - medium heavy bass rods. They all have good reels on 'em. Which would you prefer? They're all set up w/ 20-50lb braided line. Should I go w/ something lighter, or are carp not too picky?

I'd go with the medium-heavy bass tackle. This will enhance the battle of the carp(4-9 lb average). There are plenty of 10 to 15 pound fish there too, but the river is open and snag-free for the most part so you can let them run and enjoy the fight. Remember to keep close tabs on your rod so a carp doesn't yank it in the river. ~hogsucker

I'll tell ya what, i'm gonna head out there tomorrow morning. I don't work till 1 in the afternoon every day, so i'm gonna do some prefishing b/f i take my wifey. If you'd like to go respond to this. I'll check the post tomorrow morning b/f I go. Hope to see you or someone else there!

With braided line, you'll want to set the drag lighter than you would for anyother fish. Their mouths are made of a very soft cartilatge that will easily tear if you put a lot of pressure on them.

The stretch of mono really helps here, especially on hooksets. If your using circle hooks, rememeber not to set the hook, rather just pull the line tight and start reeling.

Good Luck

Well, i went by myself down to the dam this morning. Ended up catching 3, i guessed 'em at 1 1/2, 3, & 6lbs. Man, that 6lb carp fought harder than any 15lb pike I've ever caught! Anyways, I'm taking the wife out there either weds or thurs morn. Should be fun! Thanks for the tips guys, I'm a die-hard walleye & bass guy, but man do these things fight!

Well, I've been down there a few times now, and it's been a blast. I started using my med/light 6'6" walleye rod w/ 6 lb test, and those things are a hoot on that light tackle. It's usually a 15-20 minute fight, ending about 1/2 mile downstream if they get out of the pool and into the current. My 9yearold nefew just got his first fish bigger than a crappie, a nice 10lber, and same w/ my sisterinlaw and wife. I was out on Tonka bass fishing and the carp were in the shallows. I think they're spawning. I'm heading out there this weekend to try for em!