• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Starting Bowfishing

I just got my first bowfishing set up, I've wanted to try for a long time but don't exactly know where to go. I have a smaller 14ft boat that I could shoot from but maybe shore areas would be better? Any advice for a first timer would be great (lakes, streams, strategy).

Any lake with a good population of carp will make for an excellent day. Looking for jumping and finning carp near shore especially now while they are spawning. Thick weeds, such as thick mats of milfoil tend to attract carp aswell. Look across the tops of the weeds and you will see a bunch of sunbathing, easy targets.

Thanks that helps get me started I was out on a small lake where there are only rough fish. I saw many of them in the shallows spawning. Are those the fish you want to go after or just others around those areas?

If you are from Sartell, you can't do better than Little Rock Lake. Lots of carp in there.

I see you had another post for the metro area. Your best bet there would be the rivers rather than lakes, assuming you don't have a boat. If you have a boat, I bet there are lots of lakes with a good population to shoot at.