• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whistle Stops!

JPowell

Ok, I am at the point in my training where i need some trick, tips, or just plane help to get my yellow lab to stop on the whistle. i don't need any books or movies or anything. i just need some advice or help from someone on new work outs that will help him/me with the whistle stops. I have gotten him to sit in front of me and watch me. i blow the whistle while he is still sitting to get his attention. Then i can direct him left, right, and back(simple baseball). i have done this repeated weeks hoping that he will catch on to the fact that he hears a whistle....he stops to see what i want him to do. well i have sent him on long 200-250yd marked retrieves and when i blow the whistle he just keeps blasting towards the dummy. i have nicked him with the collar but this speeds him up to the dummy. what the heck is a guy doing wrong. The tipical baseball drill he has got down no probs. i just can't get him to stop on the whistle and look at me. any ideas, tips, tricks, or anything would be awesome.

JP

For the time being lay off trying to STOP him after you have sent him on a long retrieve. Continue to work up close with him, hands on, making him SIT on the single whistle blast. When you are out for a stroll and he is not all wound up, blast the whistle. Give him a reasonable time to make the mental connection. If he continues to ignore the whistle then you'll have to use the collar-a quick hit. A little patience usually does the trick. Then one day the light bulb will go of in his head and BAM....he'll have it down!

I've never had a DUMB dog but I have had some that took a lot of my patience. Loved every one of them and would like to have them ALL back. At one time!!

I agree, DO NOT teach sitting to the whistle on marks! You will induce all kinds of problems. This should be worked on solely on it's own. When he has it down you can use it at anytime including during a marked retrieve, but in the interim, teach him the whistle sit while walking or just out and about. Never Never over use it when training or until he is running great lines on blinds or again you will end up with a dog that "pops" a lot.

Good Luck!

Ken

I agree with all to not teach whistle sits while running marks/blinds but to work on the process as its own elementary training session. I would go back to the basics: Voice - "SIT" followed by one whistle. Repeat, repeat, etc. Next - Whistle one blast followed by Voice - "SIT". Repeat, repeat, etc. Now mix them up Whistle first, voice command, then voice command followed by whistle. When I say repeat I do not mean in just a one session situation. Repeat this everyday to reinforce and then work it into to the retrieve itself. If no luck, back to the basics. Your dog wants to please you and do as you command. He/she might just be a bit confused at this point.

I agree with what everyone else has posted... but I'd add that you should be using a check cord to enforce stops when you whistle in addition to the e-collar nick...

Take your time and make sure your dog knows it in close, and you should be able to extend it to longer distance with out too many problems.

marine_man