• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting dog needs good home

ctuma

I have an 8 year old female weimaraner that needs a good home. We have had two incidents in the past 6 months where she has scratched our 2 year old daughter. She is an inside dog and is good around older kids but can't be trusted around young children. She is an great upland bird dog. She points and retrieves and has a excellent nose. I'm giving her away for free. If interested I can be emailed at [email protected]

Just my opinion but giving a dog away that can't be trusted with young children is very irresponsible. What if this dog hurt a child in its new neighborhood? Good luck with your dog, you are in a tough situation.

He is disclosing the reasons for giving the Weim away, can't blame a guy for that. There are plenty of guys out there that have hunting dogs that can't be trusted around young kids. My buddy's Wirehair can't be trusted around adults, let a lone kid. There has to be plenty of guys looking for a good dog that don't have children. Good luck, wish I had room for her! I'll keep my ears open.

All I'm saying is its pretty hard to gaurantee that your dog will NEVER encounter a young child. Having a dog that is aggressive to anyone, let alone children is to me unacceptable. How would you feel if that dog did hurt or mame a child in the future? I guess I don't know all the details of the incicdents with the two year old but I wouldn't want that dog moving into my neighborhood. As much has we love them and treat them as family, we have to remember that they are animals and the saftey of children should trump any feelings that we may have for them.

You mean like every Pit or Rot that is in every town? I've been bit by more lap dogs than big dogs. I agree all dogs are still animals and still have the natural ability to snap. I guess a lot of my response goes back to conversations of guys putting dogs down when they bite, etc. I just hate to hear that is the only option. I think the dog, if in the right environment, could be a great dog for someone yet. Holding hope the dog isn't a lost cause, I guess.

I think we need a lot more details than what was provided to provide any sort of judgement. How did the dog scratch the child? What were the circumstances leading up to these incidents.

Was it because the dog doesn't know it's own size and was being playful and reared up to put it's paws on the youngster and it's claws accidentally scratched the girl.

Or was it being aggressive in a mean sort of way (never heard of a dog scratching out of aggression, just biting).

Setterguy thanks for your opinion, but I didn't do this post to stir the pot here, just don't want to see the dog put down. The irresponsible thing would be to not disclose the fact that she is not a good dog to be around young children. She can still make a good pet for someone and a great hunting partner.

What were the circumstances of the incidents? I guess when someone says the dog can't be trusted around small children I assume that it can't be trusted around small children. Its your dog, do what ever you want with it I'm just pointing out the fact that you can't always control what a dog may encounter after it leaves your control. And god forbid something happened, you would never forgive yourself.

Shad rap - All my original post was doing was pointing out that even if the new home doesn't have kids there is still a chance that any dog may encounter children in its life and that I feel its irresponsible to put that danger out in the public. Now you're right I did assume aggression, and if thats not the case then I'm wrong. But there are stories every year about dogs that mame or kill children that have never shown aggression, so why would you take the chance with one that has?

Again, its your dog. Do with it what you want. If I misinerpreted the first post and the dog isn't aggressive its a different story completely...we just don't have the answers. Like I said before, good luck. You have a tough decision.