• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plastics rule - leave the minnows at the baitshop

markkstanley

Did a small test mostly to see if larger crappies prefer live minnows to plastics. I opted to fish the plastics my buddy got minnow duty. Plastics of choice were a Culprit paddletail and a Ratso. It wasn't even close. I was getting a fish nearly every cast. After about 20 fish on plastics to two on the minnow my buddy gave it up and switched. It isn't always that pronounced but for early season crappies plastics are the go to presentation. And the last point, I used the same two plastics all night and still have them rigged. Big $$$ savings and no wasted time baiting hooks. I used 1/32 collarless jigs that you can buy on this site, a the electric blue/chartruese tail paddletail and a white Ratso. The size issue was not determined because the crappies just would not take the minnow. The two we did catch were no bigger than what the plastics produced. Fun night and the crappies were biting.

I have not entered the digital age so no photos. Besides, everytime I bring a camera along I have lousy fishing. Did not get into the 12" or bigger fish but lots of chunky 8 to 9s. Going to try some new areas tonight. Hopefully I'll find the bigger crappies.

I was at a small metro lake fishing plastics getting some nice crappies and gills. there were lots of minnow dunkers out there too. they were getting some good crappies too, but they were plagued with bullheads! I only got a couple of bullies on plastics, but they couldn't keep them off the minnows.

One thing in the minnows favor was they were getting some really nice perch too, and for some reason they would not touch the plastics.

Now if I had arms as long as Corey seems to grin.gifI would buy a digi camera. Since I fish by myself a lot haven't figured out the self photo thing so I just forget the photo thing. Last night was a bust. Just got into some weed line crappies and the lightning show started.

I would have to agree 100% on the plastics over minnows and even wax worms for that matter. I have yet to use any form of live bait since mid-winter and I have already caught more and bigger panfish than any other year. I usuallly go for quality over quantity when it comes to panfish, and using plastics, larger plastics in particular, is a great way to keep the little buggers off the line. Live bait has become a burden to me more than anything. The convenience of keeping a couple packs of tubes or twisters in my pocket or tackle box is my kind of deal. With a minnow, if I am lucky, I can catch maybe two fish before reloading. With plastics I can keep throwing the same bait fish after fish. With Berkley's Gulp lineup this year with their leeches and crawler I am going to branch my plastic fishing to walleyes this season.

-Here are a couple of pannies caught on 1.5" tubes from this spring

DSC00614-copy.jpg

DSC00626-copy-copy.jpg

DSC00631-copy.jpg

As you can see, dragging live bait around with me would be a hassle.