• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie ?

Hey all you experts, I have a crappie hole that runs into a river. I catch nice crappies all spring, summer and fall as long as there is current between the lake and the river. Well I have never tried it this early in the year but I have noticed a good amount of current and was wondering if crappies will go to the shallow current this time of year. There is still ice in the middle of the lake but not in the channel. Now the channel is only about 3ft deep, sound kind of shollow for crappies this time of year but im not sure.

What do you all think? should I give it a try or do I need 60 degree weather and no Ice on the lake? Thanks, friendly

just keep trying the north bays. the will warm first and could have them really stacked in there. you won't know til you try ! and 3 ft isn't to shallow. just be carefull if the water is clear , as they could be spooky.

What type of bottom content do you have in the channel? Any wood? How far away is the deeper water and does the current towards or away from the deeper water?

Sounds to me like a possible big sunfish lake as well smile.gif

The channel is 1/2 mud 1/2 gravel and 1/2 hard. I know thats three halfs but its a big channel cool.gif. The main lake is only 5-8ft deep. Its mostly backwaters of the river. Lots of smaller culverts empty into it and then it dumps into the river. I guess the current would be going away from the deeper water. And yes I have caught some monster sunnies, to far and few between to target. Most have fallen to the jig and minnow that i use for the crappies and walleyes. Its so nice out today I may have to take a look and give it a try. I know I will probly not catch a thing, but its nice to get out and see the sun. friendly