• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chequamegon Bay And Crappies?

Jim Hudson

For years now, I have heard reports of people seeing and catching the occasional crappie out on this big water. But until today, I never got to see any of these slabs for myself.

On a guided trip, fishing for SmallMouth, my one client Ross asks, "what can these fish be suspended about 5 feet off bottom be?" My answer, "whitefish or herring", as what is the most probably case when a school of fish come in high on the electronics in this area, and are the most common fish caught that can be seen suspended. A few seconds later... Ross gets bit, and after the short fight he yells... "It's a crappie"... And in my mind, I think he is just short of crazy... Until I turn around, and see him holding a big slab!!! 14.5 inches of fish, with the school still underneath him... After a bit of fishing, we could only manage one more fish.. But another 14" fish... A great way to top off an already good day of catching quality bass through the ice...

As we always say here on the bay, you just never know what you will pull through the hole, and now I can add to the list of species, Crappie!!!

If you check on my webpage, on the 2005/2006 photo page, you will see Ross with his first ever Chequamegon Bay Crappie!! grin.gif