• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Protecting dog from cold

jparrucci

Should I have any worries about protecting my dog from the elements while out pheasant hunting. He is a year old Brittany. He played plenty in the snow last winter when he was a pup, even loved to roll around in the snow. Should I be worried about his feet getting cold/frostbite on long days of pheasant hunting, especially when hunting in the swampy areas where he is going to get went busting through cattails? Another worry I have had is that he has been pointing the hens when we have been out, but every rooster has flushed way out in front of us. We are usually pretty quiet and I try to whistle as infrequently as possible. Not any luck yet as far as actually bagging a bird. Seen lots a hens, a few roosters, and I've missed a couple of shots. Been hunting just west and south of the cities, with one trip near Marshall. Anyone have any clues on where to go that isnt hunted over? The areas I've been to seem to be pretty well hunted over, also why I think the roosters are flushing so early. Most of the birds I've seen have been on the edges of th cattails and thick cover, does the walking get any easier when the snow piles up?

I don't speak from a ton of experience with Brittany's, but I've grown up with outdoor labs and chessies. In general I think you just need to watch how your dog is acting to see if he is too cold. It will probably take alot for this to happen, but if he's not acting too excited about hunting, is lifting a paw or 2 in the air to get them off of the cold ground, then he's probably too cold. I did go out last season ona windy December day when the temp. was literally one degree with my 2 year old lab and a friend with his 5-6 year old Brittany. Both dogs feet got wet in some running water, ran around on the snow and neither of them showed any sign of wanting to stop hunting. Once back to the truck we did let the brittany come inside the truck to melt the ice-balls off of her coat and lab was fine in his insulated travel crate. This Brittany lives in an outdoor kennel with a house in the garage so she was used to some cold and had a good coat, so that had to help. I haven't heard of a dog getting frostbite on their feet, maybe someone else has.

As for the hen and rooster question...chicks are dumb, guys are smart grin.gif (Don't tell my wife)

Good Luck!