• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crow River by St Micheal question

Long ago maybe between 20-30 years ago on the Crow river we used to fish for carp by Bernings Mill. This was a spot with a spillway/Dam put across the river to divert water to the mill. below this dam was some good carp fishing. Like I say I haven't been there for about 25 years. So we drove up there Sunday. Crow Hassen Three Rivers park is there now. So there is no way to drive to this location. It is about a three mile hike in. There is only horse trails in this park so we didn't make the hike in to see if it was fishable. Does anyone know how long this has been inaccesable to drive in? Or if the dam and or the mill is still there and the area still fishable? Might be worth a hike in if it's been many years since it has been fished much. ???

Zap - I may be wrong cuz I've only lived here in St. Mike for a couple years, but I thought the Mill and old spillway are there where the bridge crosses the Crow. Lots of people park at Millside Tavern or in the park across the river (by the shooting range area) and fish just upstream of the bridge. You can see where the old spillway used to go across - there are still some pilings on the Millside Tav shoreline I think.

Huh? Like I say it's been over twenty years since I have been there. My father says you could fish the North/West shore but the fishing was always better on the South/East shore. Bernings mill on the Crow-Hassen Park map is quite aways up river from the 116 bridge. But that doesn't mean the map is too good. I appreciate a response from a local though. You know if they still get Carp up there? Maybe I'll run up there again and take a look at it from the Millside Tavern shore side. That will at least position me right if I were to decide to walk in from the park to give it a try. Thanks.

Never mind I found out the dam was removed somewhere after 1987 but before 2001. It is listed as one of the 13 dams removed on Spring of 2001 Water Talk paper from the DNR. That would make sense cause the Google Map Satilite photos of the area do not show a wide spot in the river any longer. Oh well it used to be a great spot.

Definately not there. That (Contact US Regarding This Word) has been gone since around 1988. There are still a lot of people that fish down there though. I'm not sure what they're fishing for, but every time I've driven over the Crow River bridge there are people down there fishing. I've seen quite a few people who have walked a little ways into the park to fish from the shore of the river too.

KW

Hey welcome aboard slick.. Thanks for the input 1987 to 2001 is quite a spread. It must have been one of the early ones to be taken out if it was gone in 1988. I would assume they could fish for just about anything down by the bridge and upriver from there. Heck we used to catch everything on the river. Just like any river you never know what you might land.

I grew up in Albertville and fished the river there for many years. I left the area a few years back, but even after the dam was removed we could still go down there and catch some nice catfish and walleyes. After the dam was removed the river started to make a bend there and now the north side of the river is a better place to fish (between the old mill and the new tavern). There is a bunch of rip rap there and a pretty deep hole. If you want to catch carp and suckers you could try down below the sewer lagoons in St. Michael. I haven't been down there in a while but we used to park by the ball fields and ride our bikes down there. Maybe Blaze could give you better directions now - I know that a lot of things have changed in the past few years.