• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tube colors make a difference...?

Slyster

What are your experiences with different colors of tubes?

The last few weeks I have experimented with a lot of different colored small tubes for panfish.. and I feel I have concluded that color really DOES make a difference. The top performer (at least for my hotspots on WBL) seems to be black and green tubes (black top)... great stuff.. identical tubes of different colors don't seem to perform nearly as well. I wonder if this is true for all lakes.. or do hot colors vary from lake to lake? How about seasonally?

Very interesting.. and fun to experiment!

Color is important. Water changes it's color due to staining from weed growth, algae blooms, run off, wind, sky color, cloud cover, time of day ( how the sun's rays refract in the water or how they penetrate in the water),.....there are a multitude of things that play on water color. What you have dangling on the end of the line can either contrast with the water at any given time ( be visible) or it will just plain and simple disappear because it too closely resembles the water.

Colors can change according to water depth too. Even in ultra clear water, red has gone from being red to alomst brow at less than seven feet. Different colors go through this change at different depths and depth will affect what color it "appears" to be there. As you see dirtier or more stained water the greater the degree of transition the colors will go through or the lure will have to be seen.

Different species of fish will see colors differently too and some species are more able to see specific colors than others.