• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bluegill/sunfish question...

eyepatrol

This is a bit embarassing that I don't know, but I've got to ask which species is which....

On Friday a buddy and me caught some nice sunfish. We caught two different kinds. Their descriptions are as follows:

One type was light green and silver looking, more sleek body, had a smaller mouth and seemed to fight much harder.

The other type was much more colorful (darker greens, oranges, yellows), was fatter, much bigger mouth and when cleaned, the meat was much softer/mushier.

Can anyone tell me which fish is what species? Are the green/silver ones your typical bluegill and the more colorful ones a pumpkinseed?

I've been catching these kinds of fish for years and have never known which is which.

Thanks for the help.

if you go back to the panfish page and scroll down to the bottom you will see some back page numbers. click on #10 and look for panfish id heading. the guys posted some pics. of different fish. maybe this will help you!