• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catching bluegills through the ice

fishingpole

I would target the weeds right now. Almost all of my gills as of late have come from shallower weed areas. Start looking at the spots close to where you find the gills during early spring.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Matt is right, the weeds is defintely where it's at right now. We're having the best luck in 9.5' to 11', but you're not catching fish unless you're in the weeds.

There are a lot of predators cruising the weeds right now too, bass, pike, etc... The fish seem more comfortable biting when they're surrounded by weeds rather than exposed in a weedless spot on the bed.

I'd also be sure to check your tackle, up here color is making a large difference in biters and lookers. Blood Red or Black Shrimpos on cloudy days and Chartreuse Ratsos on bright days seems to be working the best right now for us.

One quick note: Northern Pike usually spawn in the shallow weedy areas, typically when lakes are still froze. If you have a chance to sight fish for Bluegills you will most often see Pike cruising around. Bring along plenty of tackle because they just can't seem to resist those small jigs!

Please remember, selective harvest on those big late ice Bluegills.

Good Luck,

Corey Bechtold