• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

steel vs aluminum

sparkyaber

I am thinking of buying a second set of rims and tires for my kawasaki prairie 700 and don't know if I should buy aluminum itp c-series or steel itp delta series. These rims would be for trail riding only and would be taken off during the ice fishing season and replaced with the stock rims/tires with chains. I have heard that the aluminum are more prone to damage on rough terrain. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Oh- the tires I will be putting on the new rims would be 26" mud-lites, if that makes a difference.

thanks in advance.

I've changed the wheels on both my Polaris wheelers to the ITP Type 5 aluminum. While it's true, the aluminum is more prone to scraps and scratches, it takes quite a bit to make it happen with a tire in the way. I've put my 700 Sportsman through he** and back with only a slight scuffing on one rim from a rock hidden beneath about a foot of mud.

Besides being lighter in weight than steel, the "c" series type-5 wheels have a machined finish that is clear coated for even more protection from the elements. No rust!!

ITP makes great products so I'm almost sure you'll be happy with either wheel. For me, aluminum was the way to go.

700 rigged for ice 2.jpg

A lot of machines are now coming with aluminum rims for weight savings. It doesn't take much weight added to the wheels to bog down a machine. We took the aluminum's off of our grizzly and put steel with 26" Vampire ASX's and it feels like a dog. Those tires are extremely heavy compared to stock, I'd venture to guess 10-20 lbs. per wheel/tire combo.

The itp aluminum rims are very tough, the only time I have heard of them breaking is when there is deep mud with hidden rocks. The itp aluminum rims with the 26" mudlites are a awesome combo, very light and good traction. I saw a ad in my dirtwheels magazine that you can get the all 4 mudlites with the itp type 4 wheels mounted, with lugs and centers shipped to your door for $598. You can't beat that.