• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help in a deep lake?

Zimm

Just wondering about some ideas on where to find the Crappies in a deep lake. The lake is around 100 feet deep, with the majority of the water in the 30 foot range. It is only about 125 acres, but I can't find them anywere. The lake drop straight down all the way around the lake. I have worked sunken islands, and off the breaks where we find fish in the summertime. Any thoughts. Zimm confused.gif

Hmm, sounds like a pretty interesting lake. Are there stocked trout in this particular lake? Is it man-made? I would look for areas where the drop-off/break flattens out for a ways. If your break line has a steep drop from 10 to 40 feet but flattens out for about 30 yards in 40 feet of water before it plummits to deeper water, then I would say hit the 40 foot range and look for crappies holding somewhat near the bottom. It's a tough call though. Being that the lake is relatively small, it might be one of those situations where you punch several dozen holes and just keep moving...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Matt,

Thanks for the reply. It is a natural lake and has no trout in it. I know nice crappies are in there because people catch them in the shallows in early spring. I can think of one nice shelf in there that I am going to try tonight after work. I will repot back in the morning and post my results. Thanks Again. Zimm wink.gif