• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter Wilderness Portables

Hotspotter

Folks:

Any ideas/opinions on the Otter Wilderness Series portables? Looks like they're new, and a bit lighter. I don't know anything about them, and am wondering how they compare to the rest of the otter line. Are they as durable? The fabric doesn't look as thick?

Any info. you could provide would be good info.

Joel

Im not a big fan of the portable you can buy from a store. There to lite and can be a hassle in the wind. The last thing you want to do is chase you house across the lake in a 40mph wind, my dad built a 5x7 portable about 10 years ago and its the best thing ever. Lite enough for one person(100 lbs) to put in the back of a truck. It has canvas like whats on store bought portables. The front and back are plywood and is very sturdy in the wind. My opinion would be to build your own, probably be cheaper also.

I got my first good look at a Wilderness Portable at Otter's booth at the ice fishing show tonight.

They sure look like a quality product. There is no doubt the sled is a different shape. They use the same square tubing design and as far as I can tell, the canvas is black but the quality seems the same.

They are marketed as a beginner/intermediate level fish house but I think I would have no problem using one of the Wilderness houses weekend after weekend.

I noticed in the Otter catalogue that the regular Otter II sleds have a 3 year warranty and the new Wilderness series sleds only have a 90 day warranty . Don't know why they added another line when the one they had is already the best.

Otter added the Wilderness series to pull in the market that doesnt have the $ to buy what they already had. I sat in the Walleye and it seemed to be a bit lighter set up but still had the square tubing and all the other quality you expect from Otter. I would have no problem running any of them. If I were to fish 2 guys out of a house a lot I would go with the Northern. Walleye would be a nice roomy 1 man or small 2 man. But Im 6'6" and 270#. Most 2 men houses are a good 1 man for me. They did have lots of fishable space as well.