• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1st ice fishermen in the metro?

LuckBites

Just was at the boat launch on Phalin and it was wide open but the lake directly behind me when I was looking at Phalin had ice on it. Sure enough there was 2 guys out there ice fishing. I inspected the ice around the shore and it didn't look thicker than an inch or 2 but did not have my pick to find out. The 2 guys had tip ups out, are there northerns in there? It's the first body of water on the creek to Keller. Anyone else seen any nuts out on the ice? I'll be one of them soon enough...

The lake I live on has 8 big open water holes from geese and wind and there was a guy out fishing this morning about 150 yards from shore. There can't be more than 2" out there and he was inside an older style suitcase portable. I love ice fishing more than the average guy, but wow.

Wow!! That's my first ice spot every year and I'm out there as soon as there's more than and inch and a half (of clear ice; frozen crud don't count). I've been checking it every 48 hours for the last week. Monday 11/29 4:30pm, there was exactly one inch of clear ice with almost a half inch of hard frozen slush on top of it. I wouldn't go out any further than about knee deep.

SO ... Were they anywhere near the center of the lake, or were they still fishing in the weeds about half way between shore and the middle of the lake?

Was there a 25 yr old red ford pickup in the lot?

If so, it was TRZ. He is usually out there each year either a few hours just before me or just after me. I'll be trying it again tomorrow afternoon.

AND I just gotta know ... Were they anywhere near the center of the lake, or were they still fishing in the weeds about half way between shore and the middle of the lake?