• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Musky through ice

Lost

Has anybody caught these little guys through ice? I've seen plenty of pike pulled through the little holes but I'm wondering if anybody has ever seen a musky come through the holes... and if so, what was used? Same as a northern? Same locations or different?

Lost-

I've seen some pretty jaw dropping photos on here of Muskies caught through the ice. There was one photo last year of a very large one and the guys were in a permanent ice house. Incredible is all I can say. How do you get the thing up through a hole??

I fished for muskies through the ice when I first moved to Minnesota. Took a little spearhouse that I built to Beers Lake in Maplewood State Park. Very interesting. Easy to see why you can't spear them. They won't go away. It was nothing to have one down there looking for five minutes or more. When they became disinterested, just wiggle the minnow a little and they would come back for another five minutes. One day I did have two in the hole at the same time. Guess one of them couldn't stand the thought of the other one taking its meal. Caught about a 38 inch fish. 36 was legal at the time but I was so excited that I just took a picture and threw it back. About five minutes later the other one came back and bit. Lost that one but it was sure fun to be able to watch their behavior. Rigged up with a plain hook and steel leader with a shiner minnow. There is a guy from Hawley that still fishes out there. Rumor has it he takes home the fish he catches. Kind of too bad. Maybe the reported cougar sitings will scare him a little.

Saw a 38incher come through the ice last year on L. Wissota(a reseroir on Chipp. R near Eau Claire) caught on a tip up with a sucker and leader with a small spinner blade. Also have caught smaller muskies and lost bigger ones walleye fishing in shallow water on clear lakes after dark. The Wissota fish was in 22' of water with cribs in the area.