• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice house roof

jegerjack

Question

I am in the planning stages in build an ice house. I am stuck on the roof. Right now I am planning on using 2x2's for the frame and I will probably use tin and foam for the siding and walls. But the roof is giving me a pause to think. I am more concerned about losing heat with the roof, what have people found is the easiest and most efficient way of constructing one? Thanks, in advance….

9 answers to this question

You didn't mention the size your building.

I'll assume it's a bigger one. I'd go with 2x4's on top not only more insulation but that is where wet snow, ice and other heavy weight will collect. Especially if building with a flat roof. That's my thaughts.

I used Steel (tin) Studs, like they use in commercial construction. I covered them with 1/4" plywwood and aluminium soffit panels. I used the same studs for the walls. These studs a about 30% lighter than wood and just as stong once sheeted with 1/4" plywood.

I used 2x4s 16" on center. I took an 1-1/2 off each end and tapered it up to the full width of a 2x4 in the middle (that gave me my crown for the top of the roof). Then I covered it with 1/2" cdx plywood. On top of that I put rubber roofing(glueing it on). Bring it over the edge and wrap the whole roof with 1-1/2" aluminum angle iron. This works perfectly and it is easy to work with.

I would assume you're done with the project. Nonethelesss I used 2' wide ribbed plastic sheets that I got from Menards. They're something like 12' long. My shack is 8' wide and I was able to get 2 out of the 1 sheet. I have a 3/12 pitched roof and I overlapped each sheet by about 3". I then put a brown ridge cap on it from Menards as well. The rafters I made out of 2x4's with bracing at the peak of each one of both sides. This made for more clearance inside and made room for a couple of lights.

cbp135, can you tell me more about the 2' wide plastic you used? Is it made for siding or roofing or is it originally for something else? I have another thread going on building a house http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=458011&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1 and this just caught my eye. Thanks.