• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lure weight rating on new rod

gonna be buying a musky rod in the near future and was wondering what you experts thought would be the best lure weight rating for an all purpose musky rod. i have been looking at MH rods around the 7'6"-8' range from gander. what would be the best lure weight range? thanks for the help!!!!

Train

Mine is something like 1/2 or 3/4 to 3 oz. But many of the larger lures weight 4 and 5 oz. You'd probably be better off getting one that's rated at like 1 1/2 to 5 oz (if they sell them).

I guess it depends on what lures you plan on throwing. I think 1/2 or 3/4 to 3oz would be a good start. In my opinion , if your looking at throwing mostly bucktails, there is no need to go heavier than 3oz. If you thinking of throwing huge cranks or plastics, such as mag. bulldawgs...then you may want a stiffer fishing rod.

I have a 7 1/2 foot, MH action rod rated for 3/4 to 2 1/2 that seems to work well as a "all around" rod for me. Good luck in your search.

Some great replies, if you go with the 7-6 or 8 ft rod in MH rated up to 3-4 oz you should be fine. You can still work heavier baits with such a rod, but if you go too short or heavy you aren't gonna be able to cast a light bucktail or crankbait worth a darn.