• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

wilderness management

wildfan

Hi i really dont know if this is the right place to post this, but i was wondering if any one majored in wilderness management in college because that is what i am doing and i was wondering if you did where are you working now.

I started out in wilderness management at NDSU. I would look at stevens point WI if your looking for one of the best specialized schools for both fishery and wildlife management. I switched majors after learning about the career opportunities my sophmore year. One of my friends who stuck with the program had to VOLUNTEER for 1 year before he was offered a minimum wage job with the MN DNR. He did this because he was dedicated and needed experience. This is an area of low government spending and job cutbacks. Wildlife management is truly a labor of love. I figured I would get a job that pays well so I could enjoy the outdoors. The minimum requirements for these jobs are very low. A tech school degree is all it takes to apply, but I know that wardens require specialized training in policework and also need to take some other tests. There are an unreal number of applications for this line of work, consider yourself lucky if you get an opportunity to manage wildlife.

A friend majored in wildlife management and is now traveling around the country fighting wildfires. Dont know if you need the degree to do that but its great experiance and he actulaly loves his job. Whish I did confused.gif

I have a cousin that did this and he ended up traveling all over the country working tough jobs just to get some experience. He had a rough 1st few years barely making it through budget cuts and being moved around constantly but he has since settled down into a fisheries position and loves his job.

Oh boy if I only knew then what i do now.... I received my wildlife management degree in 1998. Bounced around for a few years in some $6-$8/hour intern and seasonal jobs for some county conservation boards in Iowa, the Missouri DNR and Georgia DNR, finally got one full time offer to work for Ducks Unlimited in Mississippi for $10/hr, but by that time I had enough. Be prepared to move at a moments notice. Competition for even entry level jobs are pretty intense. In takes alot of hard work and a long time to get something to make a decent living doing. Of my graduating class, only about 10-15% are currently still working in the environmental sciences, most went back to school for something else and only 2 of about 20-30 of my good friends in college are still in the field.

Thats why most of the entry level jobs are so low paying or even volunteer. The market is so saturated with kids coming out of college desparate to get a job in thier major they can get away with it. And college advisors still sit there in their comfy offices and tell kids that its a stong field to be in.

I'm currently a Mechanical/Energy Engineer based in the twin cities. My advise.......look into something different ASAP and enjoy the outdoors on the weekends.