• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

week of the full moon!!!

mudman

I would like to chart this week against the past few to see if we notice a difference in activity. I myself am ditching work at 2 and getting to my stand by 3. The moon rise today is at 5:20 last night I was out fishing and it was big, all I could think of is I know there under mystand right now.

I am super excited about tonight PERFECT CONDITIONS

1- rained over the weekend, clean scent and scrapes need a freshenin'!

2- moon rise is early

3- nice calm northerly wind

4- the boys got to be getting excited!

5- baramertor is above 30" (from what I read thats good)

6- got my new shippment of scent today!

7-10 I get to leave work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey mudman, I was going to ask a question about this full moon that will be coming up on the 27. Will this make the deer more apt to move during the evenings to feed because of the light it gives off? Or would I still be able to hunt mornings an have just as good a chance of seeing deer. I'm thinkin I should try an hunt evenings or even during the middle of the day with the rut begining. Any thoughts on the full moon and times to hunt would be great, thanks!

-Bob Downey

bob. the full moon does allow the deer to see great after shooting hours, but with the rut getting started soon, it boils down to hunting when you can.the bucks will bed them roam at any or all times of day. during the rut i favor huntng in the mornings. i try to sneek into my stand at day break. then sit til 11:00. i have seen many deer between 8:00 and 10:30 . like fishing. the best time to go is when you can. del

I agree with Delmuts, with the rut approaching, spend as much time as you can in your stand, the bucks will start moving more. Deer move around at dark anyway, the full moon is not going to make that much differenc.

Full moon to me kinda sucks....deer seem to move at 10 to 2 in the afternoon and after dark. Unfortunately I can't get out of work to hunt those hours. Next week should be a good week to hunt. I plan on taking a couple of days off to hunt what should be the start of the rut...I hope confused.gif

I guess I was going with what Extreme said Not so much the full moon after dark. It's the fact that the moon is so high in the sky between 1-5pm already and full, it seems the does get up and move around earlier and hence the bucks will follow. So I view it as a chance to see the bucks before it gets dark. But next week should be the week they really start moving. its suposed to drop to the mid 20's and possible snow! I too will be taking a couple days off work to hunt it all day.

My perfect night wasn't so perfect. Started rattling 30min after sitting down, did it again every 30min or so with some grunts mixed in. didn't see the deer until 6ish. Then I saw a nice 8pt and 2 does the 8 was one I haven't seen before and he wouldn't come in to the woods just walked the field edge. Funny thing was he came in first then the does about 10 min behind. I personally blame the squirels. they sounded like bowling balls coming through the woods. man were they loud!

BOB-

To be clear with your question, I would suggest being in your stand by 2or3 and staying too you have to get out

Mornings are great too. catch them going back to thier beds I will get out at least an hour before shooting time just to be able to see them moving and where they are going.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm gonna try to get out at least 2 times this weekend.

Im acually leaving right now to go to the stand, I am also going to try and hunt tomorrow morning - supposed to be cool and not to windy it should be good especially with the rut starting to kick in.

I will give reports on how it goes.

-Bob Downey