• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

i was wondering how you boys out there in the great state of south dakota do early ice for perch, i frequent the ne part of the state to go duck hunting but havent fished there, any info would be usuful, thanks.

The best lakes in the Ne for perch would be Swan, Waubay, Reetz, and Bitter(for jumbo's). You have to move around to stay on top of the schools. I wouldn't spend more than 45 minutes in a spot if you don't mark any on the Vexilar(must have).

I ussually try jigging with a genz worm and a waxie. If the perch seem to be agressive I'll switch to a minnow head.

I always have a dead stick with a slip bobber and a teardrop with a whole minnow next to my jigging hole.

Remember you can use 4 lines in SD ice fishing, so I put out a couple tip ups out for walleyes when I fish perch.

the ne corner of the state has the best perch action by far. all the lakes around waubay are good. bitter i believe had the new state record last winter, only thing there is merc levels on that lake.

the genz stuff worked good for me last year when i was down there. like ifishsd said-keep moving to stay with the perch.

Man, I hope I can get a few more trips in the boat! But for ice fishing, nothing compares to the NE corner of SD, in my humble opinion!

So many lakes and sloughs, so little time! Waubay is probably my favorite, but a couple of sloughs in the area have some big perch!

Everyone:

Thought I would let you that next week looks like will be our first visit from 'ole man winter. Right now, it looks like some pretty cold air will be moving into the state. But it's advertised to only stick around for 24 to 48 hours. Won't be too long and things will be solid - hopefully!! Remember, you heard it first from this weather guy! smile.gif