• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Hunting Facts and Myth

Piker

Here's something for discussion. How many of you have a myth or fact about deer hunting that you've wondered about. Here's a couple:

1. You can tell the age of the buck by the diameter of the tree it is rubbing. For example a < 1" tree is yearling, a 5" tree is a 5 1/2 year old. I think I heard that from a Dr. Nordberg column.

2. You can tell the age of a buck by the length of its track from tip to dew claw. For example, 3" would be a 3 1/2 yr old and so on.

3. If you jump a bedded buck you'll never see it again.

4. Human urine will attract a buck on a hot scrape.

I think that there is mostly truth to 1 and 2. I don't necessarily believe 3, and I'd personally never try 4. I'm sure you've heard these and others, any thoughts?

I don't believe the first three. I've heard of the fourth one working, but I'm sure it's chased some away as well.

I do believe that generally speaking rubs on bigger trees indicate a larger buck, but obviously that's not a guarantee. Some bucks are more agressive & ambitious than others.

I personally think the biggest myth is that bucks are way smarter than does, that's hogwash.

Yep, personally where I've been bow hunting a lot this year, I've seen about twice as many bucks as does & the bucks have all been a lot less wary than the does. It's just that most people shoot the first buck they see, until recently, & the ratio's so out of wack, people think since they rarely see them they're smarter. Sure you don't see that monster buck real often & they're there, but how often do you see the really monstrous doe either, yet they're there as well.

Last year I jumped an 8pt buck that was bedded in some heavy brush about 45yds from my stand. After I was in the stand about 1hour, the same buck wandered back and laid down in the same spot.

They (as are ourselves) are creatures of habit.

PJ

i've always thought that the height of the rub on the tree tells you more about the size of the buck than the diameter of the tree, but add height (chest high for me) and a 4-5" tree, then you could bet on a big deer

peeing in scrapes does work, i've tried out of curiosity, i've even started mock scrapes this way

5 - Deer always walk into the wind

6 - You will see the deer before you hear it

I have seen #4 work. I was driving deer and mother nature called. As I was deflating my morning bladder, I heard some grunting coming my way. I assumed I was near one of the standers and they were having a go at me. However, the noise was getting closer? Sure as snow, here came a small 8pt right down the norway pine ridgeline I was on. With the wind in his face, head down and grunting with every step! I was almost laughing outload! I was going to see how close he would get to me... However, I just did a quick terrain scan and seen one jump and he would be gone. I shot him mid stride and grunt @ 15 paces.

B2