• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheezing-Hacking Lab?

Mr. B

Since Friday my 2.5 year old female lab has been wheezing and hacking. It sounds like she is going to hack up a fur ball but nothing comes up. I thought it was in response to her pulling on her leash so hard but this morning she woke me up at 5 am hacking and wheezing. It almost seemed that when she got excited she would start to gasp and hack and when I would pet her she would calm dosn and breath normally. Does any one have any ideas about this? I am going to be calling the Vet this morning once they open but I thought I would look for any ideas here.

Maggie is in great shape and in fact we spent yesterday morning at the game farm for her last tune up and she was amazing.

Funny my lab did the same thing Saturday night. we were at the cabin and the heat got a little out of control around 3am.

I was thinking that it just got too dry. I let him outside and nothing brought him back in and gave him some water and that was that nothing else.

He has his kennel cough vaccine so I assumed that couldn't be it.

plus he hasn't been around but 1 other dog for the last month.

Could the temp and dryness of the air have caused this?

I am thinking it is not kennel cough due to the fact she is current on all her vaccinations, although the weekend of the 9th and 10th she was at a kennel for a couple of days.

After my trip to the vet yesterday I found out that Maggie probably has a mild case of Kennel Cough. The Vet said to watch her and keep her away from other dogs for two weeks. If her condition gets worse or does not clear up in two weeks she would prescribe antibotics. The vet also said that as long as activity (including hunting) does not make the condition worse to continue to train her and hunt her.

The Vet also mentioned that there are multiple causes of Kennel Cough and that when the dog is vaccinated for Kennel Cough that they are vaccinated for only the most probable cause. The Vet said in most cases that it is the common cold for dogs.

Thanks again for the information.