• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

clear lake

I'm heading to Clear Lake on the 17th, have never fished it before and am lookin for any help I can get. After looking at the IA DNR HSOforum I'm assuming I would most likely want to go after walleye. I'm hoping to put some friends that live in that area on some fish.

Have your crank baits along. Clear lake has plenty of yellow bass, catfish and bullheads that will chase down any live bait rig you try. Find a decent lake map and start on the reefs that are in the lake. If you are there in the evening don't be afraid to go shallow. we were there in August and managed a couple of eyes off of a dock casting jigs and minnows, as I said we did get plenty of bullheads if it sat to long. The Dome is the only bait shop I can recall right off but I do not have directions first hand. I will check and see what I can find. Good Luck

There's also a bait shop on South Shore Drive along the lake, but I don't recall the name.

I haven't been to hsolist in quite a while but agree cranks can be effective (I like jointed Shad Raps or Wally Divers) as can running bouncers with worm harnesses out in the main basin. If you get shallower with bouncers keeping your speed up can help keep the yellows and bullheads off somewhat.