• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Panfish Setup?

Since the ice we did have is starting to melt, how about a discussion on favorite panfish rigs/setups ? What's your favorite rig? #test & brand line? Ice Jig? Tipped with what? Do you use two jigs or one on each line? What's your favorite jigging technique? Bobber or Springbobber?

Here's what I use: 3# test line, glow Demons, two jigs per line, springbobber (w/Vexilar of course), technique is sort of a tap-tap-tap, pause, tap-tap-tap. Sometimes I will slowly raise or lower it to see if that prompts a bite......

Looking forward to seeing what others are doing!

This should be interesting.....Hutman

10Hut-You got me thinking now....and that is dangerous! Guess I have several forms of Panfish madness that I prefer. Usually will start out with something like a Marmooska or Fatboy..color dependant on the water color and depth..maybe glow chart, or silver to start. Also depends on whether I am fishing BGs or Crappies. Tip it with spikes(Eurolarvae) maybe some scent too. Then depending on what my friends the fish want to see, will dig into the 100#'s of tackle I bring along for something different..in size, shape, color, etc. Generally like to use a good graphite rod without a bobber or spring bobber unless I am deadsticking one rod in the portable. I like to pound, swim and play keep away for the little rascals...whatever they happen to like that day.
Right now I am impatiently waitin' for a good day to go!
doggieduty

This isn't so much a set up as a tip, but something I discovered about 10 years ago. When fishing in shallower waters (maybe < 8'), I like to use what's called a purest. It's a soft body jig that comes in various colors and doesn't need to be tipped with bait. In fact, it works best without bait. Here's the trick--put the jig at the bottom of the hole against the ice and shake the Betsy Ross out of it. You'll see the color of the jig flashing against the ice and this gets broadcast to the immediate area around your hole. If you're using a flasher, you'll see fish show up right after doing this. If the water is clear enough and/or you fish in a shack, you can see the fish move in. I swear this works. I spend a lot of time fishing river backwaters that are shallow and I can definitely see the difference in how the fish respond to this technique.

I been using fatboys alot year . Pounding them and hooping on bottom.Purple rockers also been good.I like two tone color fatboys white and orange have been realy good on crappies for me in a clear water sandpit.