• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

squirrels

Sunday, January 25 2004 @ 01:02 PM CST

Since being apart of this great board I have met some great people. One ofthese great people have been telling me that there is a boone and crockett score for squirrels! Wont mention any names "coalcreek"
So being as gualble as I am I had to do a search for trophy squirrels and this is what I came up with.
When I was a young boy I spent many an autumn mornings stalking the eastern grey squirrel. While other boys my age were doing " other " things, I could be found staking out a big hickory tree. Many a fond memories were made squirrel hunting. Now that I've become an "advanced" hunter, it seems I rarely hunt for them anymore. Neither do I hear many talk of them in the "sacred" hunting circles. I've pondered on this and believe that the lack of interest in squirrel hunting is due to a lack of a point system for squirrels. Before you laugh me off, think about it. Many of todays hunters only hunt for a "trophy". If a buck doesn't have a massive rack then its considered a juvenile and the hunter that harvested it is shamed. Same with turkeys. What's the first thing your buddy ask when you tell him/her you've killed a turkey? "How big wuz its beard?" The hunt for a trophy has overtaken todays hunters.
Thus, enter the trophy squirrel program. Under this management program, squirrels would be strictly managed to produce a better quality squirrel. Harvest limits and zone restrictions would apply to better suit a particular land. Hunters would have to buy a squirrel permit to finance the program. A small price to pay for such an opportunity. The qualifications of a trophy squirrel would differ from other game species though. Since a squirrel has neither antlers or a beard, another part of its anatomy would have to be used. As only males of a species are considered trophys, it would have to be something the female squirrel doesn't have. So I suggest that a boar squirrels nuts be used to gauage its trophy status. In order to qualify as a trophy, a boar squirrels nuts would have to be as big as ......oh, say a small peach. A boar squirrel with nuts smaller than this would be considered a juvenile and should not be harvested.A new rodent point system would be developed to score a squirrels nuts. A field judging guide could be printed for those not familiar with squirrel anatomy. Of course hunters would have to sacrifice some the first few seasons, but since the females of a species are considered worthless in management programs, they could take an unlimited number of sow squirrels. Hunters could use the tel-e-check system to call their squirrels in.
I think the new rodent scoring club would really boost squirrel hunting in Ky. Imagine a group of guys gathered around the back of a pick-up truck looking at..not a deer...not a turkey... but a big 'ole mature boar squirrel with a MONSTER SET OF NUTS!!!!

"Thats a goodin' alright......yep, look what mass...yea, on both sides too!!!!!!....you wander how he got through the trees packing them around.