• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wher to go carp fishin today

I am looking for a good carp fishin spot to go to where it is not loaded down with weeds. Are they biting right now? The only bait that I have is 'can o corn', will that work? I live in the north metro(moundsview).
I know that long lake is good but it seems weedy. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Coon Rapids Dam, Brooklyn Park side. Close to the dam, I have not been there in a couple of years, but, it has been a hot spot for many others.

I have seen many o'carp out on Long, **** near nettum. the graph shows big fish? do not know what they are... could be northern, carp, walleye... speaking of walleye have you guys fished Long Lake for Eyes? I have been out there many hours drifting, anchored, artificial, shiners, leeches, etc... Not to mention by the train tracks.

You do not need to tell me where, it is just the idea, that I may have a chance on this lake for a walleye.
I live by the mermaid and have been faithful to this lake, no matter what the outcome.

Just about anywhere at Coon Rapids Dam. Long Lake is also a good place. From what I hear, the carp have taken over the shallows. The weeds shouldn't pose much of a problem since you'll probably just be letting your bait sit there anyway. You have a good chance at catching bullheads and sheepshead there as well. And on the drop, the sunnies might try to steal your bait.

Coon Rapids Dam is probably your best bet. Maybe RoughFisher has some ideas for this area.

By the way, it's nice to see some others that live in this area (I'm in Fridley).

Lost, et al -- you can easily access Pondidy on the Old Chicago/Gander Mountain side. Right behind Gander mountain you'll see a 15 foot path that leads right into the water. Then head to the North side for the best action. (In the past, people have carried in canoes and 12 - 14 foot boats - you literally will have to carry for about 15 feet)

I don't see why not. There isn't anyone to stop you. The parking lot pretty much goes right up to the space and then when you walk the 15 feet, you go down a slight hill, so you are out of sight. Still, no one should care.

I think the only issue is that on the water side, you would be casting in an opeing that is probably ten feet wide at the path, so you might not be able to get to where you want. (unless you went through the woods a bit on the left - to the right is cat tails making it impossible)

Let me know if you have any luck.

Thanks. I'll hafta give it a try sometime. Might not make it any time soon though.

As far as a good carp location... there's been tremendous carp activity (lots of jumping) at Long Lake (New Brighton) the past couple of weeks. Been meaning to go for them but keep getting caught up on going for crappies.