• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

suckers?

Anyone here fish for suckers? i live in the northern part of the state and we dont get carp up here. we catch alot of suckers when they are running and they started friday on the saint louis river! caught alot of them and a few walleyes and northerns. if anyone is in the virginia area and wants to catch some drop me a line and ill tell you how to get a bunch!

------------------
a bad day at the lake is better than a good day at work

Oh boy yes! Aside from the giant runs of silver redhorse, last year I found myself up in your neck of the woods, fishing for Longnose! Here's a pic of one of these beauties we caught and released last spring. It's great to see there are at least a few native fish left!

lns.jpg

what time of year do you get them there? which rivers do you fish in? I was down at the saint louis today again. caught alot of black suckers and one red horse! what a blast they are. catch a fish every 5 minutes or so and they cant be beat for fight in the current below the dam. If you are going to be in the area let me know and maybe we could go catch a few!!!

------------------

The longnose come into just about all the north shore rivers about this time of year, and I fish them all, but this weekend I'm headed to the SoDak border for carp. Love to get up there if I get a chance though, you're right those fish can't be beat for fighting in current. Real, true gamefish that nobody appreciates. Check out my profile I have more stuff on that site!

hey all!....i'm new to the site!...just thought i'd mention that the suckers really are running thick at the dam at the entrance to the taconite plant in forbes(virginia-evelth area)...was out there yesterday and had a great time!...i must have caught at least 25-30(didn't really count lol!)on a jig and crawler set-up (only kept 6 for fish patties)...here's the pic.hope it turns out...jonny

2004_0430suckers0003copy.jpg

jonny,
thats where i fish. im sure ive seen you down there! i live in buhl. where are you from? i drive a red f-150 4x4 with a black topper if you ever see me down there stop over and say hi!
Tony

------------------

[This message has been edited by shortfatguy (edited 05-01-2004).]

hey there short....maybe i did see you!......i was at "the dam" between 9:00-12:00 noon friday and it just may be coincidence but the 3 guys fishing next to me were all from..........buhl....go figure!...one of the guys had a white mostache and kinda looked like santa clause..all do respect of course....lol!(red tossel hat and all)...i even got some pics and will post em......maybe your in em!.......just had a couple red horse sucker patties with lettuce ,tomato,mayo, tarter sauce, dill pickles,....better then mcdonalds.lol!...well...almost ...pics will be coming..jonny

jonny,
nope not me! im 29. but i do know the santa clause guy!!! lol. hes down there alot. I might go down there tommorow. so where are you from?

------------------

[This message has been edited by shortfatguy (edited 05-02-2004).]

went to the forbes dam today. fished for about 2 hours. caught alot of fish. so many that i lost count. mostly red horse with a few suckers mixed in. what a blast!!!! didnt see ya there jonny!

------------------

short...i couldn't make it to the dam yesterday(saturday)...had to work an extra day...gotta keep the gods happy...lol!...next week the people will be down there for sure with the fishing opener starting doing the walleye thing....sounds like you had a great day at the river... the redhorse will still be there for another week at least...i might be able to make it later today....maybe....jonny

your definitly right about next weekend. you wont be able to see the water with all the people who are going to be there!
i have fished there on opener but we brought a small boat. we did pretty good on the walleyes. there is a really deep hole along the far bank that holds the fish year round. it is usually around 30 feet deep but the water goes up and down so much it varies alot. I am going to myrtle lake thursday through sunday for the opener but i might make it back to the river this week after work.

------------------