• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sucker carp in zumbro by rochester

carlcmc

I have caught some of the small sucker carp on worm by standing on the bridge and dangling it in front of them. But the big ones just get spooked.

Do you have any tips for catching the big ones? I have tried a big ball of worm but they steer clear of it and if i move it they definitely run away. I have a swivel on, could it be they are scared of the shiny brass?

Any tips for regularly catching these big carp would be appreciated.

I fish off the bridge / railroad bridge and it gives a great view of where the carp are and in the holes etc.

You say they were "sucker carp" - did you mean "carpsucker"? They could be quillbacks or river carpsuckers, which would make sense because I have sight-fished for them thousands of times and they will take no bait that I have tried. These are a big, hard-fighting native fish that nobody knows how to catch reliably. I am trying hard to figure out how to catch them. I have heard that match-fishermen in Illinois have caught them using maggots, #18 hooks, and a super-sensitive float rig. But this has never worked for me. Let us know if you have any success and so will I; one of these years somebody has to figure it out. I've been trying to catch carpsuckers for 10 years now.