• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody been out since the snow?

Plan on going out tomorrow and Hunting my way fom Starbuck back to Eden Valley. Anybody else been out? Was wondering what affect all of that snow might have had on the bird population.

Paul

I went out both Saturday and Sunday afternoon near Kimball. Saturday we at least saw a fare number of pheasant tracks from the previous couple days. But we didn't flush any birds. I believe they moved deeper into the cattails. With them not being even close to safe to walk in and snow up to my waist it didn't take the dog and I long to move into the redbrush near the cattails. Sunday, no fresh sign and no birds. Nice day for a walk though.

Long, hard day. Put over 500 miles on the truck. Saw a few birds but nothing to brag about frown.gif . Did get one rooster, or should I say the dog got it and I just shot it. Beautiful flush, smile.gif easy shot. Anyway, all of the birds we flushed early in the day came out of either willow thickets or low Pine trees. Later on with the sun coming out we did see some on the edges.

As an added bonus, did find a great campground for the L.E.T.S event on Clearwater.

Paul

Sadly, my pheasant season came to a close today. Hunted for 3 hours just north of Benson, which is about all that the dog and myself could manage in the present conditions. Still a lot of snow left in the slougs and hollows. Froze hard enough that the birds can run on top of the snow and ice but the dog and I kept breaking through. Saw over 100 pheasants most of them while I was driving around. Most birds seen on the edge of sloughs abutting plowed felds. Very, very, spooky, the minute you slowed down they would get up and fly further into the slew.

Oh well, after some tough walking this a.m. the dog was able to pin a wily old guy in a stand of small pine trees and he was added to the seasons total. smile.gif

Paul

I was planning on hunting near Montevideo over the weekend, but I could not get over a nasty cold/cough in time. My body wasn't prepared for hiking in the deep snow.
My friend went out and the only birds he saw was after the hunt, some roosters were in the middle of the road. He found a dead one that looked as if it was sleeping when the blizzard hit, and it was frozen in that position. That storm hurt some birds, no doubt.

Hope the upcoming winter/spring isn't as hard as it was last year.