• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New (used) motor opinions?

jparrucci

Picked up a 1999 Northwoods Kingfish 16+ foot boat with no motor. This is rated for up to an 80 horse I believe. Any recommendations on tillers in the 50-60hp range? I would like a 4 stoke, but due to prices might be out of my range. Trying to keep this under 4 grand total. So far I have found a 2002 Mercury 60hp 4 stroke and a 2003 yamaha 2 stoke. Mercury is about $700 more. This boat will be running around a lot on Lake Vermilion so better gas mileage is a plus. Would a 40 hp push this boat at least 24-25 mph or am I too underpowered at this point? Would the 60hp in a 2 stroke troll down slow enough to pull crankbaits at 1.5-2.5 mph? Trying to keep this under a 4 grand purchase. Any and all comments welcome on boat/motor combinations and any motors in this size/price to recommend or avoid.

Thanks!

It has been my experience and working with my local dealer that you shouldn't the HP rating of the boat by more than 25% which would drop to 60hp. Other wise you will have problems getting up on plane especially in the wind. I had a 1991 LUND angler deluxe with 60hp Johnson 2-stroke and it trolled a bit fast for pulling crank baits. After that blew up I put a 60hp 4-stroke Merc on it and it trolled great.

I had a Alumacraft classic 16 with a 84 Merc 40 hp and it would go about 24mph or so. Neighbor had the same boat with the Merc 50 and it ran real well. Since then the standard for rating motors has changed so today's motors have more power than the old motors of the same rating.

And a buddy has a 1775 provee with a 70 yamaha 4 stroke tiller and was quite happy with the combo.

I would go for the 60 hp 4 stroke, for the following reasons.

4 strokes don't smoke and gas you when trolling.

4 strokes are quieter, in general. At that vintage probably a lot quieter especially at idle.

4 strokes use less gas, maybe half as much as an old tech 2 stroke.

The savings in gas will put quite a dent in the price difference, depending of course on how much you use it. It is easy to burn gas on Vermilion.

That Yamaha 2 stroke will not use twice as much gas as a 4 stroke. At the very worst you will get around 20% less fuel economy compared to the stated 4 storke. I can't help you much with what kind of speeds you will get, but a 50 hp should be able to push any 16' reasonably well. Not with a ton of weight, but you and another guy will be fine IMO. If you are that worried, the 2 stroke will weigh somewhere from 25-50 pounds less, and produce more torque than the 4 stroke. Assuming its 3 cylinders, those idle down quite well. 2 mph should be no problem. The 4 stroke should be able to go even slower. The 4 stroke is quieter at idle. At idle, the waves are as loud as a lot of 4 strokes I've heard. While running though, they are similar. Due to the different sounds they make, you will hear the other really well. I have a 2 stroke, and I can clearly hear a 4 stroke drive by, even when I'm at full speed. The opposite is true for 4 strokes, you hear every 2 stroke. You can still talk easily with the 2 stroke at idle, but that's up to you to decide if its ok or not. The 2 stroke smoke is also a matter of opinion. I consider it a benefit, burning 2 stroke oil is nectar of the gods for me. You might not like it. Don't think a 4 stroke will be scentless however, they just smell a lot less. Its my opinion that the 2 stroke will give you more years of trouble free use. It all really depends on how you maintain it however. The 4 strokes are very reliable as well if taken care of. The main thing here that wasn't mentioned is the 4 stroke is EFI and the 2 stroke is carbed. I would take fuel injection over carburetor any day of the week. If you want the 4 stroke, I would go with that. If it was me, however, I would see if any fuel injected 2 strokes fall in your budget. They get as good, sometimes better fuel economy vs 4 strokes. They also smoke less, idle better, and the newer tech is often quieter than older style 2 strokes.

If it is any help I am running a 17 lung angler with a 70hp 2 stroke Yamaha. By myself I can run high 30's for speed, in regards to gas consumption I find it pretty good. I run a 52 inch drift sock off the front and backtroll with lindy rigs and on a calm day I stay around .4-.5 mph.

Kettle

If trolling is important 4 stroke is the only way to go. Newer direct fuel injection 2 strokes are better, but old fashioned carbed two strokes are least efficient (smoke and odor is unburnt gas/oil) at idle and you could easily see double fuel consumption trolling versus a four stroke of comparable horsepower. Running wide open the difference is not that great. With the 60 merc you would probably see .3 gph at trolling versus about .7 gph for 70 yam 2 stroke. Ten hour trolling day 3 gallons versus 7, extra 4 gallons of premium a day or 16 bucks. You can do the math to see if the payback makes sense. Not a merc guy but I think they are ok, yamies or pretty good too.

Good Luck

To the OP, if you plan on trolling more than half the day, you might be happier with a kicker motor. Get the big motor you want, and find a cheaper 6 hp. Compared to a 60 hp, a 6 will use next to no gas. You can find them in great condition for under $1000.

One problem I have had with a kicker is the slow response time in altering direction/slow change of speed. It makes following irregular drop offs problematic the big motor usually does a better job of this. Small kickers work ok if rapid direction changes are not needed.