• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vernon/ La Crosse County

hookncook

I don't get out trout fishing too much these days, but last Thursday, I was passing through Coon Valley and decided to stop for a few casts.

Opening up my trunk made me realize that I left my tackle box back home and I just had 1 rod with a rattle trap on it.

Well, after a few choice words- I came to the conclusion that I was there anyways, and might as well give it a whirl.

The first stream I hit was clear and cold, but too uneven for my ankle to allow transport too far. I hit a few with the rattle trap, but had more misses than hits.

full-38816-46303-imgp0235.jpg

Seeing the high noon sun is not a favorable time to be fishing trout, so I put my rod up and wandered with my camera. I saw a nice brown dive into a luker bunker, so I laid down next to the bunker and shoved my water proof camera in to catch a glimpse of underwater life.

full-38816-46304-imgp0234.jpg

On my way out of town, I stopped by Coon Creek; and found the ground to be a little more even and easier to navigate. The water was a lot more murky than the higher up streams, so I decided to give the rattle trap a few more casts- with much more success.

I tied into a dozen smaller browns and this really nice brown that later came to measure 19 inches.

full-38816-46305-imgp0240.jpg

full-38816-46306-imgp0244.jpg

Not a bad day for a guy with 1 rod, 1 lure, and 2 hours to kill.