• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Taking boat lifts out

Tom7227

We are having a heck of a time this year getting the lifts out. The crew we hired to take out the docks were dumber than a box of rocks. They ended up just pushing the lifts to shore, damaging at least one and putting them parallel to the shore so it will be a pain to turn them and get them up over the bank. It is an association and there are very few members that are fit enough to do the work. Two docks with 16 sections each made out of treated lumber is just too much. Of course the cheap SO* are too cheap to go with rollout docks. Several of the lifts don't even have wheels which makes them a lot of fun.

So how do you do it? Suggestions?

Started me wondering given the 150 plus lifts on the lake whether some sort of barge thing with a crane on it may not be a money maker. Of course I can't fathom how that would work or what it may cost to get set up. Step banks on about half the lake make it tough to get them out, and a water based setup would be the cats meow.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

All the lifts on our lakes are taken out by a barge with a crane on it, we have 4-5 outfits around that do nothing other than docks and lifts, 1 company has several dock barges and 3 maybe 4 crane barges....We are talking 7-10K+ lifts... Our wood docks are all torn down board by board and stacked, some are sectional docks and done the same way few are on wheels but those are pulled out with a tractor...

I know of at least one dock company that has a barge with hydraulic forks on the bow. Takes a crew of 3-4 about 20 minutes to pull a 6 section dock and lift. Of course they are from the Park Rapids area but I'm sure there is someone in your area with a similar setup.

We have all our docks hinged on a slab at the shore and use a cable to lift them out of the water just far enough so the ice doesnt get them. I did the same principle with my boat lift and ran two lengths of steel to either side of the lift. I now just hook a cable to it and lift up. In the spring it takes 10 minutes and the lift is back in the water right where it needs to be. Definitely took some time fabricating everything but well worth it in the long run. I can provide some pics if it is something you are interested in.

Our dock comes out by a home made winch on top of the hill which has 4' steel round post footings. We pull the entire lift out and secure it down on the hill, then pull the entire dock out in one piece and secure it on the hill. Only 2 people required to do it and it takes about an hour. 3 people and we're done in 45 minutes.

The hill we pull up is at about a 30 degree angle.

The dock is made from 1/4 steel framing and plywood...needless to say it's heavy.