• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stainless Steel prop cracked

Meat-Run

Just spent some hours up north running around on Leech and when I got home was inspecting my prop and I think I see a stress crack on both sides of one blade. What should I do I've never had an issue with steel props is this something that could be fixed or rebuilt and approximate costs???

Meat Run

I'm going the welded direction with this problem my budget doesn't allow a new prop. Question for others that might read this yet but when welding a crack are you suppose to drill a hole at the very end of the crack before you weld to further prevent the crack to continue?

MR

when welding a crack are you suppose to drill a hole at the very end of the crack before you weld to further prevent the crack to continue?

It helps, but finding the very end in a cast part can be difficult. It's usually easier and you will get better penetration and hold if you grind a groove along the crack on each side and then weld. It gets rid of all the contaminants in the crack that weaken welds.